Thursday, April 16, 2009

You've Gotta Be Kidding Me...

Ever have one of those odd coincidences that comes outta nowhere, and is just too bizarre to let go, that you have to tell someone? Just had one:

I bought a beautiful, hard-cover graphic novel called Local, a little while ago. I started reading it, but decided to shelf it for a bit, and push through finishing Watchmen first. I accomplished that a couple of hours ago.

I was sitting here, watching the fourth season of Buffy, and was on an episode where her new college roommate was driving her nuts. She was labeling the food, insisting on logging calls made, etc.

Anyways, I paused it to go outside to smoke, and since I'd just finished Watchmen, decided to grab Local and take it out with me. I open up to where my bookmark was, and I had apparently stopped on a part where Megan (main character) was freaking out to some friend, about how her roommate was driving her nuts, logging and scheduling all activities and chores to be done, and labeling and measuring her food!

!!!!!

It's just insane when little things like that happen. I'm watching more than one episode of Buffy today, and stopping during any other episode (or even a different part of that same episode), and it would have just been kind of funny to spot the similarities. As it was, I happened to stop just at the place where, opening up and reading Local sent me spinning a bit, because it felt like continuing the story I was already on. Just....weird.

It was a little like one of the moments in NeverEnding Story, when reading the story started crossing into Bastian's world. Only....without the cool biographical (or autobiograpical) twist.

1 comment:

Court said...

I had an extended situation like this when I read The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. If you haven't read it, it's the story of a boy who abandons his normal life to pursue a great treasure. Around the time I was reading this, I wound up dropping everything (well, my job, at least) in order to chase a girl up the West Coast. It was funny, because step-for-step, every move he made in the book, I made in life. The weird thing, though, is that sometimes I wouldn't pick the book up for a day or two, and when I did, it would describe exactly what was going on. It was like you said, if I'd read those parts of the book, I might have noticed the similarities, however the fact that it happened like that... was just perfect. (And at the end of the book, the boy returns to where his journey began, and realized his treasure was there... In my case, I returned home, and that girl showed up there soon thereafter...)