Wednesday, April 08, 2009

New Thoughts on Old(er) Writings

I recently started using Twitter (as evidenced by the feed -->), and it has brought me back around to wanting to wake up this 'ole blog. Though I haven't posted much here, I had written several things, in something that resembles a sequence, and intend to use them. They were not written directly on Blogger, but rather in a Word program, on my phone. Knowing this will make what is posted below make a bit more sense. I'm considering a way to represent these older writings as such, and for now, I think an introduction of sorts will do. Maybe I'll slap some quotation marks around them, too. Intros may be necessary because, as I've already learned with this blog, things change. Sit on a few paragraphs long enough, and half of it won't be true any longer.

I find that, while tweeting little bits of random now and again is good and fun, I've always seen that, for my purposes, it wouldn't threaten to replace the need or desire for a more long-handed writing style. This is despite the fact that I have read a few editorials, written by people that would have us believe they see us moving to a more short-burst style of communication. Perhaps that's true to some degree, and it seems to be one more element in this ADD breeding ground, but that's not me. I'm not endlessly entertained by 2-minute YouTube videos. I don't have that impatience that causes a 2 1/2 drama to be torture. In fact, I have largely gravitated towards serial storytelling, spending my time chugging through the 15 seasons of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (combined), and have to commit myself to watching a standard-length movie.

Well, having made my intro significantly longer than the first of my series of older writings I was going to post, I'll get right to it. Intro...intro...intro...umm, I don't know. It's only 2 paragraphs, and I suppose that it still holds somewhat true. The difference would be, that any time spent writing, when here at work, tends to be spent in Twitter or text messaging. But regarding inspiration, I spend a good deal of time wanting to make use of what I'd already written for my blog, and to move past it. Though, I very much want to get this stuff out, first.

"How strange it is that, when at work, I most often find inspiration. Despite the repetitive nature of my job (I've literally threaded and started projectors thousands of times, and in only a year's time), I find that I often have so many thoughts flow, and with such ease, I often have to retrace my steps (so to speak) in an effort to somewhat memorize them, in order to record them later. This is because, ironically enough, it is almost always when I am busy with both hands, that the light turns on.

I realize that the reasons for this are likely: (1) the quiet environment of the projection booth, and (2) I am well practiced in the performing of this task, and don't have to think about what I'm doing, thus leaving my mind free to wander about."

1 comment:

Court said...

That is exactly why I prefer a job behind the scenes. When I was a receiver at Dillard's was the best, because no matter what it was (housekeeping before the store opened, unloading the trucks, unwrapping garments, collecting trash, etc), everything was something that could be done without requiring strict attention. I work in receiving now, and I just think, all day long!